Thursday, October 21, 2004

Teaching with movies

Engineering was all about classrooms and seminars. MBA is a little different. We are more different. Our insti is among the few where movies are used as a teaching aid. Before I came here, a movie was just time-pass, to be watched with friends, etc, etc. You can learn theory and history through books. If it is made in the form of a move, it is better. Subtract a little bit of reality and add some spice there, it is even better. I watched a few movies for the Business Ethics class, and I just watched the movie Wall Street, recommended by a finance prof. I did not take that class, still that did not stop me from watching it and trying to learn from it.

The words of the successful man:
The point is ladies and gentlemen that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of it's forms - greed for life, for money, knowledge - has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed - you mark my words - will not only save Teldar Paper but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you (Gordon Gecko)

The words of a man not so successful:
Man looks in the abyss, there's nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss. (Lou Mannheim)

The words of a honest hardworking man who wears the same old jacket everywhere:
I don't go to bed with no whore, and I don't wake up with no whore. That's how I live with myself. What about you? (Carl Fox)

What you choose depends on what you are.

More to think about, from the mouth of Gordon Gecko:

Ever wonder why fund managers can't beat the S&P 500? 'Cause they're sheep, and sheep get slaughtered.
Not bad for a City College boy. I bought my way in, now all these Ivy league schmucks are sucking my kneecaps.

No comments: