· Ride at a constant smooth speed. Maintain the speed around 40 kmph inside the city, and around 60 on the highways.
· Be in the right gear for the right speed. Step-up and Step-down gears at the correct RPM. Let the engine hum, not whine. Don't race the engine. In addition to wasting petrol, it will reduce the life of your engine.
· Avoid breaks, instead let the natural breaking of the engine slow your vehicle down
· Avoid clutch riding. It will not save fuel.
· Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, atleast 2 metres. 1 metre if the traffic is heavy. If the traffic is bumper-to-bumper, none of these will be applicable, anyway.
· Stick to ordinary petrol, and avoid branded petrol - they cost more and give slightly more mileage. The increase in mileage is not worth the extra money.
· Find short routes between two places. This is becoming important in Chennai due to congestion along almost all main roads, and circuitous one-ways. I won't recommend breaking rules, however, like, inching against traffic on the wrong side of the road, going the wrong way in one-way streets.