Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Doing what I like?

Finally, I did something which I like doing - designing web pages. There is this person here who lives far away from the city that he can come in late and leave early. We all have to depend on him to do the designing stuff for us. Another trouble with him is that if I give a work to him, I have to stay with him all day and tell him what to do - no delegation, as my boss found out to his shock.We are doing a monthly e-letter sort of thing for the top management (which will gain us some publicity :D) and we had fixed a date with that guy to do our stuff. Since it was going to be just HTML and CSS, I offered to do the job myself. Now, my dependency on him is reduced and I have my own webserver on my machine.

I remember what happened with another person in the same team. He is a web designer, but calls himself a 'techie'! There was this requirement for me to dynamically create charts and graphs from data taken from a CSV file. When I joined this company, I was told that I could ask anyone for help and if they had time, they will help me. I could have done everything with servlets, but I haven't coded in 3 years. So, I ask this guy who was free for a few days to help me. He refused saying all work for him has to come through his boss. Fair enough, that seems reasonable. But, after listening to me explaining for about 30 minutes what I want, he asked me 'why I want to do it?' and gave me a 'suggestion' - put it in excel, create graphs, save it as a web page. When I said it is too much work for too little stuff and also the pictures will take up a lot of bandwidth, he gave me a few more 'suggestions' - open every graph and 'optimise' it by hand, he started telling me how to do it. With about 25 (estimated) graphs, that itself would take up a better part of my day. Then I asked a busy software developer to help me with it and he promised me he would as it would be a learning experience for him. He forgot about it, that's a different story.

No comments: